Moreover, kids and even teenagers are quite prone to bumps, bruises, and wounds because of their activities. They are also prone to illnesses because they are exposed to other kids at school.
As a parent or guardian, it is your responsibility to set up appointments for your kids with a trusted family medicine doctor to ensure that you are on top of their health:
What Elementary School-Aged Kids Need
Depending on the school that your child is going to, some vaccines are required and others are considered optional. However, the health and welfare of your child should be your main concern.
Infections and diseases can be serious especially if you are not able to detect them. You may not realize it but allergies are also common among school-age children.
You must be prepared to take care of any health issues immediately. For this reason, you must make sure that they have all their vaccinations to stay protected.
Your kids also need these:
- Height, weight, and BMI (body mass index)
- Vision exam, including visual acuity, using an eye chart, and any other eye tests
- Oral health check-up
- Hearing test
- Listening to heart and lungs check
- Blood pressure check
- Urine test
- Physical examination
What Middle School and High School Aged Kids Need
The same as elementary-aged kids, middle school and high school-aged children must also have their well-checks.
The following guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics will help you stay on top of your child’s health:
- Annual examination with a healthcare provider, including a physical check-up, is still recommended for all children.
- A specific schedule may depend on your child’s age and stage of development.
- Vision, hearing, and dental check-up
- Vision and hearing check-ups are recommended at least once a year. Development of teeth and mouth, including cavities, are monitored and treated by dentists at regular intervals.
- Physical, sexual, and psychological development
- Physical health and development, including height, weight, and BMI (body mass index) are monitored at each visit.
What Can You Expect During Your Child’s Check?
Your child’s visit will be with a pediatrician or family doctor. Parents are welcome to come with their children. The doctor will ask their child questions and perform certain medical tests. For instance, a urine and blood test may be required depending on what the doctor finds in their initial check.
Basically, the doctor will be looking for physical, developmental, and behavioral issues. They will also check your child’s immunizations, presence of allergies, and others.
Your kids’ health is a serious matter and you need to be aware of their wellness. The medical tests that are necessary for school-aged children are different for younger kids.
However, your kids must have a medical check at least once a year to ensure that their vaccinations are in order and to give your doctor a chance to scan for underlying medical issues.
If you want to find out more about your school-aged child’s visit, talk to your family medicine doctor or pediatrician.
Family Medicine and Wellness’ doctors perform medical wellness exams in Troy for you and your children. Contact us today and schedule an appointment for your children to ensure they’re in the best health possible!